Student route: applying in the UK

Last modified: 09 May 2024

You may be eligible to apply for the Student route in the UK if you currently have immigration permission in the UK, and if you are not on immigration bail.  

It is important that you check first if you are eligible to apply in the UK.  

There are some key differences between applying for the Student route from inside the UK, where you apply for ‘permission to stay’, or outside of the UK where you apply for ‘entry clearance’.  

Most Student sponsors offer information and advice on making a Student route application in the UK and can be an additional source of support. 

Applying for the Student route inside the UK

Last modified: 01 March 2024

You should normally be able to apply for the Student route in the UK, unless you hold one of the following types of permission:  

  • visitor 
  • short-term student 
  • parent of a child student 
  • seasonal worker 
  • domestic worker in a private household 
  • permission outside the Immigration Rules 

There are certain requirements you need to meet to successfully apply for the Student route in the UK. 

Academic progression 

Where, when, how to apply

Last modified: 06 March 2024

Once you have received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your Student sponsor and you have checked you meet the requirements, you can start your Student route application. Make sure that you are applying while your current permission is still valid and that you have all the required documents prepared. 

Most Student sponsors offer information and advice on making an application for the Student route. They may offer online guidance, workshops, and one-to-one advice. Additionally, if you have difficulties with the online form, you can contact your Student sponsor.

Where to apply 

When to apply 

How to apply 

Submitting your application

Last modified: 09 May 2024

If you want to make a successful application for the Student route, it is important that you plan in advance and think carefully about when to start the process. 

You should make sure to answer all questions on the application form honestly and accurately. If you have been given any guidance from your Student sponsor on your application, make sure you follow that guidance. If you have any questions after your application is submitted and pending, you should speak with your Student sponsor. 

Application fee 

Immigration health surcharge 


Application support 

Technical support 

Your application in progress

Last modified: 01 March 2024


Travel outside the UK before you receive a decision 

Your status before you receive a decision 

Withdrawing an application 

Receiving your decision

Last modified: 01 March 2024

If your application is successful, you will receive proof of your permission to stay in the UK. This may be in the form of a biometric residence permit (BRP) which is a physical card, about the size of a credit card, which contains your personal information, your biometric information (photograph and fingerprints) and states your immigration status and some of your conditions. You may also receive your permission digitally in the form of an eVisa which can be used to view and prove your immigration status online.  

If it was possible to re-use your biometrics from a previous immigration application, you may receive both a BRP card and an eVisa. Non-visa nationals will normally receive an eVisa only, and visa nationals will normally receive both.  

If you are an EU or EEA national and used the UK Immigration: ID Check app to submit your application, you will receive an eVisa only. You will not receive a BRP card.  

If you receive a BRP, it will be sent to the correspondence address you listed in your application. If you used your Student sponsor’s address, they will receive your BRP and sign for it. If you used your own address, it will be delivered to your address, but you will need to sign for the delivery when it arrives.  

If you are changing institution and your new institution is a Probationary Sponsor, they will need to see your new permission to stay before you can enrol on your new course. They should tell you the latest date that you will be allowed to enrol on your course. This date might have been included in your CAS statement. Since standard applications can take many weeks to be decided, you might need to make a priority or a super priority application in order to obtain your new permission to stay before this latest enrolment date. 

Make sure you contact your Student sponsor immediately if you think you will have a problem enrolling before the latest enrolment date. If you do not enrol as expected, your institution will be obliged to notify the Home Office. 


Checking your conditions 

Start and end dates