England's Department for Education makes the regulations that decide who is entitled to pay fees at the 'home' rate in England (UKCISA does not make the regulations).
For courses starting on or after 1 August 2022, it is introducing a new category of person who will be entitled to pay fees at the 'home' rate, and receive full Student Support: 'Evacuated or assisted British nationals from Afghanistan'.
All the requirements a person needs to meet to fit the category are explained in detail on the UKCISA website, so look there to see if someone qualifies.
The category provides not just for British Citizens, but also for people with the following types of British nationality:
- British Overseas Territories Citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British Overseas Citizen
- British Subject, under the British Nationality Act 1981
- British Protected Person, under the British Nationality Act 1981
They must have left Afghanistan during very specific periods in 2021 and 2022. See the UKCISA website for the detail about that.
If you want to see the law that introduced the category, it is in the following set of regulations:
- the Education (Student Fees, Awards and Support) (Amendment) (No.2) Regulations 2022 (S.I. 2022 No.534)