Search Results

results per page
Displaying 1 to 50 (of 580) for

Find out more

For more information about what we do, read our Annual Review for the year 2015-16, and Annual report and summarised accounts for the year ended 31 March 2015. Our 2015-16 report will ...
20/01/2017 14:33:00

Immigration checks

‘Right to rent’ checks As part of new laws introduced in 2014, landlords are required to check their tenants' immigration status before granting a tenancy agreement, to make sure that...
19/01/2017 16:45:00

What is UKCISA?

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is the UK's national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them. We have been supporting inter...
16/01/2017 14:29:00

UKCISA website

Our website is divided into two sections. This section is for students.  Members, external organisations and Press can find lots more information on the Institutions website. The students area ...
16/01/2017 14:26:00

Our services

UKCISA provides support to students and to members.  This area of the website is for students.  Members, external organisations and Press can find more information on the Instituti...
16/01/2017 11:42:00

Becoming ‘home’ after the course has started

In some circumstances, it is possible to become a 'home' fee payer after the start of your course. Below, is a summary of changes that can trigger eligibility for ‘home’ fees. In all cases...
11/01/2017 11:44:00

Appealing a fee status decision

If you think a mistake has been made with your fee status decision, do not sign any document/contract agreeing to pay the 'overseas' rate of fee. Contact the institution immediately and ask it to exp...
10/01/2017 15:03:00

‘No recourse to public funds’

If you have the sentence ‘No recourse to public funds’ included in your passport stamp, or printed on your Biometric Residence Permit, you will not be in breach of your immigration conditi...
10/01/2017 14:51:00

How much are ‘overseas’ fees?

'Overseas' fees can range from £3,500 to about £18,000 per year depending on the institution, the level of your course, and the type of course. The fee will probably increase each year by ...
10/01/2017 14:47:00

Higher education (HE) or further education (FE)?

Higher education (HE) courses include HNC and HND courses, undergraduate degrees (for example, BA, BSc, BEd), and postgraduate degrees (for example, MA, MSc, PhD). Further education (FE) courses incl...
10/01/2017 14:44:00

Am I insured for fees?

Endsleigh provides proportionate reimbursement of your prepaid course fees if you are "cutting short or repeating your course due to accident, illness or sickness".
10/01/2017 14:42:00

Application checklist

This flowchart is designed to act as a summary of the steps involved in making a Tier 4 (General) application in the UK. It is only an overview and does not contain detailed information about the Tier...
06/01/2017 15:46:00

Facing culture shock

While usually temporary, culture shock is common among international students arriving in the UK. You will notice differences between the way things are done and what you are used to at home. These in...
06/01/2017 15:25:00

Studying in the UK, how does it differ from home?

When you get to the UK as an international student, studying may seem very different to studying at home. Depending on what you’re studying, what level you’re studying at and where you&r...
06/01/2017 11:19:00

Students unions

Your text here
05/01/2017 16:25:00

Making a Tier 4 (General) application in UK

This information is based on the changes to the Immigration Rules which came into force on 24 November 2016 and the Home Office's Tier 4 policy guidance version 11/2016, to be used for all Tier 4 appl...
05/01/2017 16:19:00

Sponsor duties

All Tier 4 sponsors have specific duties they must undertake. These duties are outlined in document 2 of the Home Office's guidance for Tier 4 sponsors. Your Tier 4 sponsor must provide information ...
05/01/2017 16:08:00

Good practice

05/01/2017 15:39:00

Our codes

All our members subscribe to the UKCISA Code of Practice  This outlines the values and practices of what we expect from our members and references other relevant codes. The UKCISA Code of Ethics...
05/01/2017 14:52:00

Changing Tier 4 sponsor

There is some limited flexibility to switch to a different Tier 4 sponsor but you must apply for permission from the Home Office first (unless your new course is supplementary to the course for which...
05/01/2017 13:26:00

Tier 4 conditions

Your Tier 4 immigration permission will be subject to certain conditions. It is very important that you abide by these conditions as failure to do so can have serious consequences for both your curren...
05/01/2017 12:42:00

Entering the UK: documents

EEA nationals The Home Office has confirmed on its website that citizens of EEA countries can travel to the UK using their national identity cards or passports.   Non-EEA family members ...
21/12/2016 17:11:00

How is a 'week' defined?

We asked the Home Office how it defines a 'week' when calculating whether a Tier 4 student has complied with the limit of 10 or 20 hours a week of work in term time. The answer we received on 17 May ...
16/12/2016 15:23:00

Studying in the UK?

Study tips for international students in the UK Health and healthcare Working while studying in the UK Driving Facing culture shock in a new country Complaints about you...
16/12/2016 09:53:00

Avoid overstaying

Overstaying means allowing your visa, or BRP, to expire whilst you remain in the UK. Overstaying is a criminal offence. There is no 'grace period' within which you can lawfully overstay. If you submi...
14/12/2016 16:51:00

Before you start

If you want to come to the UK to study, you need to apply to the UK immigration authorities under Tier 4 of the Points Based System (PBS). Usually, you must meet the requirements of the Immigration Ru...
12/12/2016 15:46:00

Tier 4: eligibility and requirements

Tier 4 (General) visas are only issued for certain courses; if your course is not an eligible course then your institution will not give you a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) and you will...
12/12/2016 15:41:00

After the EU referendum

Currently the UK remains a member of the EU and, therefore, there is no immediate change to the position of EEA nationals in the UK. Therefore, students and their family members ca...
12/12/2016 14:00:00

my layer title

layer text
07/12/2016 15:13:00

Test page 3

Test text
07/12/2016 15:07:00

Test page Arne 5

07/12/2016 13:06:00

Festivals and celebrations

Make the most of your time in the UK by experiencing some of our festivals and celebrations. We host a number of multicultural festivals. Highlights include: Chinese New Year Outside Asia, the world...
06/12/2016 15:05:00


Some Tier 4 (General) students can have family with them in the UK as their dependants. To find out who counts as a dependant, check 'Who is a dependant?' You can have dependants with you in the UK...
02/12/2016 10:42:00

Who is a dependant?

Your partner and your child can be your Tier 4 dependant. Your parent, brother, sister or other relative cannot. Your partner  'Partner' means Your husband or wife Your civ...
27/11/2016 14:25:00

Financial requirements

Each dependant must have a certain amount of money, held in a bank or building society account, or an account with an officially regulated financial institution. All dependants will need to have evide...
27/11/2016 14:21:00

Babies born in the UK

This information is about immigration matters for babies born in the UK to a Tier 4 student and their Tier 4 dependant partner.  If you are a Tier 4 student and you are pregnant, it is very impo...
27/11/2016 09:46:00

Can you apply in the UK?

In order to apply for a new Tier 4 visa in the UK your new course of studies must start no more than 28 days after the end of your current leave, if the gap between the end of your current leave and t...
23/11/2016 14:49:00

Turkish workers

Self-employment Turkish nationals have the option of setting up in self-employment in the UK under an Association Agreement between Turkey and the European Union. Applications to switch into this c...
22/11/2016 17:39:00

UK ancestry

The UK ancestry route allows you to take employment and to set up a business. It can lead to settlement after five years. You cannot switch into this immigration category from within the UK. You can...
22/11/2016 16:39:00

Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur

The Graduate Entrepreneur scheme is aimed at recent graduates, and postdoctoral researchers who have Tier 2 immigration permission, who have 'genuine and credible business ideas and entrepreneurial ...
22/11/2016 16:26:00

Tier 5 Youth Mobility

Under the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme), you can work in the UK for up to two years. This scheme is available to nationals of Australia, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Republic of K...
18/11/2016 18:54:00

Cost of living

This varies, according to where in the UK you decide to study. London and other big cities are more expensive than other areas.  The institution where you choose to study will be able to advise y...
17/11/2016 15:15:00

Work experience, post-doc positions

After having studied certain subjects in the UK, you might still need to obtain relevant work experience in order to qualify in your chosen profession. This applies, for example, to medical profession...
15/11/2016 20:39:00

Working after studies

If you are coming to the end of your studies in the UK, you might be considering the possibility of staying on in the UK to work. This section of the website explains some of the schemes that are like...
15/11/2016 11:10:00

Tier 1 Entrepreneur

Unlike Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur), Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) requires funds that you must invest in a business in the UK. However, you do not need a sponsor or an endorsing body.
10/11/2016 20:50:00

Family members of British citizens

If you are a British citizen and have lived in another EEA country, you will be able to derive a right under EU law if you have had a genuine period of residence in another EEA country for longer than...
10/11/2016 16:10:00

Family members of EEA nationals

If your family members are also EEA or Swiss nationals, they can come to the UK in the same way as you, without restriction. If your family members are not EEA or Swiss nationals, and you are coming...
09/11/2016 16:51:00


There is no definition of ‘dependency’ in the EU directive or in the UK’s regulations which interpret the directive into national legislation. There have been several cases heard bef...
09/11/2016 13:45:00

Submitting your application

You complete and submit the form online, then you submit your supporting documents to the Home Office by post (a "standard" or "priority" application) or in person (a "premium" application).
11/10/2016 16:20:00

Short course maximum of 6 months

03/10/2016 16:39:00


  • Site content
  • News